My progress so far...

Monday 10 August 2009

Ourense - thermal spring kingdom

Settling back into the CS lifestyle I'm privileged to stay with Adam - a cool polish guy and also a recent recruit to the European Volunteering Service. He lives here in Ourense with 3 others in a shared EVS household. The house - provided free - rather more resembles a scrap book than a house, with dozens of Spanish name tags slapped across item all over the house.

---

In the evening we all venture down to the local thermal springs. The closest of 5 just a short walk down to the river.

Moving from the warm spring to the hot my Sunburn begins to ache, I bite my lip, thinking: its not that bad! True enough it wasn't that bad compared to the pain and high pitched screams that followed when we jump into the icy cold river.

I would call it torture but for the fact that after repeating about 3 times it actually became refreshing and pleasant.

---

Continuing tradition the boys head out with buckets in hand to pick blackberries from along the river. I join them, and an hour later we have amassed an impressive collection. Not quite finished with our free pickings we explore further finding a pear tree to add to our spoils.

Returning home we wash the fruit before adding an unmentionable amount of sugar and cooking - we're making jam. One sticky finger dip later its declared ready to bottle. As we pour I think to myself - why bother bottling, its going to be eaten within a week anyway :)

---

Crossing the river we enter into the old town were Adam promises to guide us through the Ourense top 5 highlights. Stopping at a favourite pub we enjoy a quick drink in the ocean themed surroundings before continuing. Next Eva takes the lead directing us to a heavy metal bar. Inside our tattoo-less bodies provide a contrast to the locals and I can't help but feel a little out of place.

Approaching the bar Eva asks if they can play something a little 'lighter'. The barmen laughs but obliges. Turning I observe two locals playing electronic darts. Taking turns they shoot, remove their darts then press the 'next go' button. Everything appears normal until I realise they actually haven't put any money into the machine, and it's still running in demo mode and yet after each turn: "next go"...

Moving to our final pub I'm told I must try a Licor Cafe. Agreeing I take the small cup of black thick liquid and proceed upstairs. On the way up I stumble spilling a little over the cups edge and down to drip deep heavy stains onto the wooden floor - oops! Safely seated and bib in place I make a move to drink the liqor but I cant, it's stuck to the table! The refined 'engine grease' is so sweet that it takes some effort to dislodge and once swallowed sits heavy in the neck. A good experience? well yes - its worth a try if you dare.

No comments: