My progress so far...

Monday 17 August 2009

Lisbon with Love

Arriving at the bus station I switch to the Metro for my ride to meet Kuba. Over an hour riding trains through rabbit holes I finally pop out in Oriente where Kuba is waiting.

Stepping inside his home its wonderful to again have a roof over my head. I Breath out with relief as I realise my freedom. Freedom to leave my bag without worrying that it might be stolen. Freedom to lye on flat dry ground and freedom to sleep in without worry of an early unexpected visitor.

Waking late the temperature outside is climbing well into the 30's - today will be a scorcher. I feel sooo lazy! I could blame the heat, but really travel has worn me down and now in the comfort of a house where I can sit in one spot without a waiter glaring I take full advantage.

Guilt setting in I muster just enough energy for a quick dash out into the haze towards the local supermarket: Pingo Doce. Returning home arms full of fruit and a tub of rapidly melting ice cream I express my way to the kitchen. Commandeering the blender on entry its only minutes later that we're all slurping on ice cold banana smoothies - Yummmm!

---

Tonight we mix it up with the CS crew @ the Veggie meet-up. Arriving on time we look around - but there's no sign of anyone! we guess everyone will arrive at 'Portuguesse time'...

Sitting hypnotised by the exploding fountain opposite we wait until finally another CS member pops out from behind a tree. Yippee - then there were three!

As others arrive we pile inside to the feast that awaits. Spread across several tables is an array of smells, colours and flavours. Crisp vegetables, delicious tastes and textures and weird fruit/veg combinations - Yes you can eat Kiwi with beetroot! :)

So good I could turn Vegitarian.

---

Scribbling 'Free Hugs' on the back of a poster Kuba and I quickly gather our belongings, and run for the door.

'7 minutes' Kuba yells. Its gonna be close - poster in hand we sprint towards the train station, over the bridge and down across the tracks. Panting as we stumble onto the platform we're just in time for the approaching train.

Arriving at the 'Free hug' metro station we look around for other huggers. The street is empty. Wrong station? No - still nobody. And then, a Hugger! Two, Three... A group! Let the fun begin!

But first the concept: Simple - hug a complete stranger... after all everyone needs a hug.

So how were the hugs? Fantastic! OK - so some were better than others.

Fun? Judge for yourself...

Young and Old:



Duo, Trio, Groupie:


Everyone needs a hug:





and even the Police couldn't escape us:

No comments: