My progress so far...

Wednesday 12 August 2009

Goodbye Spain hello Portugal

Meeting back up with Fred and Ania we enjoy 2 last days together before splitting to continue on our own separate paths.

As we approach the Spain/Portugal border Ania fidgets with excitement. So many months spent in Portugal writing her Polish guide that now it holds a special place in her heart. Fred teases her, building upon her excitement but as I look over to him I see he too is very happy to be 'coming home'.

Passing over the border we climb and stop at the hill's crest for a quick celebratory drink. Slipping into old habits I foolishly thank the waiter in Spanish to which Ania issues a warning reminding me of the rough history between the two countries. I return to the van repeating "Obrigado, Obrigado, Obrigado..."

---

Tonight is our last night together so we decide to splash out with a visit to the local restaurant. Inspecting the menu Fred recommends a steak listed for 17 euros telling me the portion is for two and the meat amazing. Feeling hungry I ponder if I could eat the portion myself :)

Arriving the steak is indeed HUGE but its Ania's meal that I cant keep my eyes off. Rising high out of its boat shaped bowl I wonder how on earth the poor girl will fit it all in. The waiter just smiles and with a big grin tells us we must finish EVERYTHING.

---

Farewells are overrated and saying goodbye sucks!

Removing my belongings from the truck everything piles up and soon I realise I have way too much. Hanging bags from each shoulder the weight pushes me into the ground seemingly preventing me from leaving. But farewells must proceed and so with a good strong hug from Fred and Ania and a goodbye pat for Guzik - who is oblivious - they return to the van and pull away.

My heart sinks. They're gone, and I'm alone.

No comments: